Thursday, December 17, 2009

Clinging on to Lotus Notes

My section head hinted the other day that I should think about learning new skills, be a team player, and help with the upcoming project.

It is not bad, except that I did not apply for this job to do that. If I agree with her plan (whole- or half-heartedly), I see myself suffering doing a development work in something I am not really interested in - MS SQL (eww) and Timesheet (messy). The technology is OK and the application is understandably trying to do a lot, and I give them credit for that.. but I think I want to utilize my existing skills in something I expected to do when taking this job - EDMS in Lotus Notes.

I might lose the chance to "diversify" my skills, and to add another project in my portfolio. It may let me keep this job.

It bothered me. I started wondering if I would have to work in Sunway, leaving this nice company...

Then yesterday she said "Puteri, good news! We'll have Sofi do the Timesheet and you can do Lotus Notes." I said good.

Just before 5pm my boss asked to discuss about the plan next year. He gave me two options: MS SQL Timesheet and MS Sharepoint. I asked about supporting EDMS for other, future projects. So he mentioned the third option: EDMS support. Yes yes yes. I told him that I am most interested in this third option but not ruling out the other two. He said if I want to do EDMS, I am most welcome to do so.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

ALHAMDULILLAH.

We ended the discussion both happy.

Hopefully this is a good career decision that would be beneficial to me in the long run too. InshaAllah

No comments:

Post a Comment