Monday, January 21, 2013

Wasted Food

"It is estimated that 30–50% (or 1.2–2 billion tonnes) of all food produced on the planet is lost before reaching A HUMAN STOMACH."
Dr. Tim Fox

CEng FIMechE

Head of Energy & Environment, IMechE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

How??

So my effort of saving every piece of rice is indeed a melukut di tepi gantang?? (which means it carries no value)

This is the news: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/10/half-world-food-waste

And this is the report:
http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/environment/global-food
GLOBAL FOOD: WASTE NOT, WANT NOT
Feeding the 9 Billion: The tragedy of waste

It is indeed a tragedy!


In order to prevent further waste, governments, development agencies and organisation like the UN "must work together to help change people's mindsets on waste and discourage wasteful practices by farmers, food producers, supermarkets and consumers," the IMechE said.
Now what can we do about it?

Here's some suggestions:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/11/how-cut-down-food-waste

Much of this waste is cultural! So it's not set in stone. WE MUST CHANGE!

Buy less food. Make less food. ==> Waste less food. The money saved from buying and making less food could be better spent on charities. I know and you know how many people are in need and how much more deserving they are and how much your resources "destined to go to waste" mean to them. PLEASE. BE THOUGHTFUL. I myself need to improve my ways.

Side Story

We were taught by Mak to not waste food. I am especially angry when people purposely waste food that they don't have rights to to begin with. Mak taught us not to worry about putting what looked like not enough food in the plate, as you can always get a second (and third, ..) because it's better than wasting what we cannot finish. I remember when I thought I was done eating, Mak told me that that piece of rice on the floor is crying because I missed it, so I was always careful with every bit of food we had. So we almost always ended our meals with clean plates.
Mak saved all the food until they were clearly inedible (by humans). She gave rotten food to the domestic poultry, ours and neighbors. There was a phase of time when she put all rotten food into a bag and bring it to the river to feed the fish.

Growing up with such humbleness shaped us all to be frugal and attentive to how much we consume and how much we waste. We thought that was normal and that was what was supposed to be practiced by everybody.

We ventured out in the world. I couldn't fathom why my colleague always ate half of the food she took. I was thinking, why take a full plate when you never eat more than half? Living with wasteful people creates a lot of conflicts and stress in the home.

My niece said a lot of people are actually like that. Stop eating when you don't want to eat anymore. Don't worry about what's left in the plate. Just throw it away.

So I realized how thoughtless people we can be.


 It does not take a rocket scientist, or a mechanical engineer, for that matter, to do this.

I guess for some of us, we believe that their bounties are all ours and we can do whatever, oh well. But, are they really? Remember that in the Day of Judgement, each of us would be asked about our accountability in this World:

The prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) said: "The son of Adam will not pass away from Allah until he is asked about five things: how he lived his life, and how he utilized his youth, with what means did he earn his wealth, how did he spend his wealth, and what did he do with his knowledge." {Good hadith reported by Imam At-Tirmithi}[emphasis by me]

No comments:

Post a Comment