Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Earth Day

Today, April 22, is The Earth Day.
Happy Earth Day..!! Alhamdulillah... All Praises to The Provider and The Sustainer. The earth is an amazing home.
But why do we not take care of it? Why do we destroy it? Even if we had another home, why waste whatever we have? How does it make sense to waste the ONLY home we can live in? "Don't it always seem to go
that you don't know what you got til it's gone"

So, more importantly, what do I DO now?
http://www.earthday.org/takeaction/campaigns.html
I am mindful of my carbon footprints, so I consume less and I waste less.
I hope I have reduced carbon footprints now that I move closer to work.
I do try to use less water, and not too hot of water for shower.
I do try to use less electricity, especially what's not needed.
I teach my kids not to be wasteful. I hope that goes a longer way.

Maybe I should plant more trees. My experience tells me that my hands are "hot", hence my plants won't grow. So maybe I should turn to The Canopy Project. It helps both the environment and the community: http://www.earthday.org/campaign/canopy-project
"The Canopy Project plants trees that help communities - especially the world's impoverished communities - sustain themselves and their local economies. Trees reverse the impacts of land degradation and provide food, energy and income, helping communities to achieve long-term economic and environmental sustainability. Trees also filter the air and help stave off the effects of climate change."

I feel stupid for not doing this sooner, especially when it's recommended in Islam:

"Whenever Muslims plant a tree, they will earn the reward of charity because of the food that comes from it; and likewise what is stolen from it, what the wild beasts eat out of it, what the birds eat out of it, and what people take from it is charity for them" (Hadith - Muslim: 2904).

"Or, Who has created the heavens and the earth, and Who sends you down rain from the sky? Yea, with it We cause to grow well-planted orchards full of beauty of delight: it is not in your power to cause the growth of the trees in them. (Can there be another) god besides Allah. Nay, they are a people who swerve from justice." (Al-Naml: 60)

Side note:
There are lots of events celebrating this day. Here's one: http://www.mcc.edu/earthday/earthday_schedule.php
This page  reminds me of the phase of my life when my awareness to the environment was born. The phase of my life that I always cherish. Alhamdulillah for the opportunity to explore life beyond my confined mental and physical life, with eyes wide open that also marked the beginning of the slow shedding of my own innocence.











No comments:

Post a Comment