Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Boy's First Fast

I was super surprised when his teacher said he's fasting today. The teacher said he did not eat or drink anything, or even ask for it. He also did not complain about being hungry or thirsty.

WOW. I'm impressed. He's only 4 years old. And yesterday was his first time getting up for suhoor, and then he ate breakfast as soon as he arrived at school.


I believe he was encouraged by his big sister who completed her first fast ever in her life yesterday. MashaAllah.. What a good example she showed. Alhamdulillah.. alhamdulillah. One good deed leads to another. One good example to a child leads to even more. I am grateful.


We went to buy some kuihs to break fast with. I wanted to celebrate them fasting by letting them choose whatever they want to eat. My daughter asked to go to the same restaurant we went to yesterday, but I suggested that we break fast at home this time.


We arrived home with bags of food, about 15 minutes before sunset. My son said he wanted to eat NOW. So did his sister. Oh sayang, I knew the food was really tempting! :-) I advised them to watch cartoon to keep their mind off the food on the table. I said "You already fasted the last 13 and half hours! You have been doing very good. Don't ruin it by eating now. It's only 10 minutes to go."


When it's finally time. "You can eat now! :-)" "Oh don't forget, now it's a good time to make du'a!" They did. Alhamdulillah, The feeling of watching those innocent faces smiling as they eat is indescribable. What a sight to behold.

All Praises to Allah.

~ : ~ : ~ : ~ : ~ : ~ : ~

This morning I made him a cup of chocolate milk because he missed suhoor. I told him to drink it and start fasting right after. He refused. He said "If I drink it, then I am not fasting." I reassured him that it's OK for little kids to start fasting a bit later. He did not budge, adding "I can't eat or drink if I want to fast." MashaAllah.


All this while his big sister was asking me what if a kid does not fast. I took pains to explain that it's OK because kids are supposed to still be learning about and practising fasting. I told her many times that if she feels really sick or if she feels super hungry, she can break her fast before sunset.


Why do we fast, Momma?


I said, because Allah told those who have faith in Islam to fast, so that they can have piety. It's in The Quran.


What is piety?


Piety is taqwa.


What is taqwa?


Taqwa is the fear of and love for Allah. The faith and belief in Allah that make you want to do what Allah tells you to do, even though your brain might tell you otherwise, because Syaitaan will always try to tell you to do the opposite of what Allah wants us to do.


Allah said "The fast is for Me." So when we fast, it's not because Momma forces you to, or because the Teacher makes you to. Nobody benefits from your fasting. But you fast for Allah. So, if you don't want to fast, then don't, because otherwise Allah won't accept it anyway. I love it when you fast, because little kids need to practise fasting first.


The short time driving them to school (and back) is indeed quality time for us. I love it. May Allah bless us with Love forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment